Thursday, December 11, 2008

Something Special from the Seattle Soup Line


I've been experimenting with a lot of different ways to save money on food lately. This is wise because prices are going up and wages are falling or, like in my case, disappearing all together. All of a sudden leftovers are in fashion again in my house.


But just because you are trying to save money doesn't mean that your food needs to be anything less than delicious and beautiful. For a super yummy, physically impressive, and still inexpensive meal try my Eggs Benedict with Oven Baked Hash Browns.


Personally I had never tried to make hollandaise sauce and it wasn't something on my list of things to try because I'd heard that it was a. fattening and b. hard to make. But as I was riffling through the old Sun Valley recipe book I referenced in my Pear Chutney blog I found "Fool Proof Hollandaise" submitted by Pat Parris. It looked easy and it turned out that it was.


This recipe has a number of components that need to come together at the same time so unless you have your own sous chef you should plan out your attack. The base for my Benedict is a small, savory waffle. I purchased this waffle maker for my husband, (a huge fan of waffles), a few years ago and instead of making one big round or square waffle it makes 3 small ones. So I made my waffles in advance using a normal recipe but omitting the sugar. Keep them warm in the oven and refrigerate your leftovers since they can be popped into the toaster for breakfast the next day.


Next I cut up my ham steak. I wanted perfect rounds so I used my metal 1 cup measuring cup like a cookie cutter and cut up my ham. I then put a nice color on them in the frying pan and then put them in the oven with the waffles. You will want to do the egg poaching and preparation of the hollaindaise sauce last.


I served my completed dish with some easy but tasty hash browns. Cube one large Idaho russet potato, spray a cookie sheet with Organic Pam, spread potatoes on pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with seasoning salt. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in 425 degree oven. Give them a toss about halfway through baking.


Fool Proof Hollandaise


2 egg yolks

1 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice

1 1/2 Tbs. cold water

1/8 lb. hard butter


Put everything together Cold in a saucepan over low heat. Stir with a whisk constantly. If too thick add 1 Tbs. Cream.


No comments: